Monday, February 11, 2008

Stages of Recovery from Birth Trauma

http://observantmidwife.blogspot.com/2008/02/gray-grey-messenger-recovery.html
(Possibly NSFW pic in header -- lots of boobies)

Navelgazing Midwife has a beautiful post on her blog about the stages of recovery from a difficult/traumatic birth. It's really a beautiful post, and I highly recommend it for any of you out there who have been through a birth that tore at your heart.

This midwife is a local midwife and is very active with our local ICAN chapter. I remember calling her out of the blue one day about a year ago when I was deep in the middle of my "Sadness for Experience" stage. She reached out to the blubbering strange woman on the phone and gave me some really powerful words. Those words settled into my heart and nourished it, pushing me along to reframing and accepting my son's birth.

I like to think I'm in the "Preparation" stage now. I guess this blog is part of that. I want to help other mothers, but I realize that everyone has their own path to walk. If they want my help, they will reach for it. I'm also gathering a cocoon of support for my next birth, something I don't think I've ever done in my entire life.

So, go read the post. Tell me what you think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a fascinating post you linked to! A very detailed description of what I've seen lots of times in women, but I was never able to word it so well. You will see that women heal at one step at a time, carefully shaving off layer after layer, and pausing again until they feel comfortable to take that next step (some never want to dig all the way through).

Finally they are able to reflect, take ownership and reclaim confidence in the power they have inside. I believe every woman has it in her, but often we lose track of it and have to find it again.

I've seen you come such a long way! Well, as an INFJ you're a natural at self-reflection ;-) I'll be following you from afar, every step of the way, and I believe in you :) Consider me your interwebz-doula!

Love, Linda (Lizzybizzy on Delphi)

Jess said...

Thank you so much Linda! :D