Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Cat's Out of the Bag!

Ack! We're telling people IRL today. TODAY! It's 13 weeks today and we're leaving the first trimester behind so it's time to tell.

It seems like a long time to wait, but in a lot of ways we'd like to wait longer (can't really, not when people see my little belly!). I think most of our family will be happy and supportive, but I know the VBAC (HBAC) issue will come up. We have one family member who made some extremely hurtful comments when we were planning my son's birth. I still get a little tug of sadness when I think of the things she said. I am dreading what she's going to say this time.

I have another family member who has already basically told my mom that I'm going to rip apart at the seams if I am silly enough not to plan another c-section. I wasn't even pregnant at the time and it took a while to peel my poor mom off the ceiling.

The rest of the family is a crap shoot. I really don't know what they'll say. Hopefully they'll realize that my husband and I would NEVER do anything to put our baby's life in danger -- or increase the risk that my babies will grow up without a mother. Hopefully they'll know us well enough to understand that we make the choices we do because we believe they are the safest and sanest around. Hopefully.

So, if you can, think of me and my husband over the next few days as we start collecting reactions. We've practiced our responses and have our strategies, but it SUCKS that we're feeling so apprehensive and, well, sad about telling our family such wonderful news.

Oh, and pray none of them have read that stupid ACOG statement! Jeez!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what kind of reactions have you gotten? Good, I hope.

I've been thinking of you alot. I'm so excited for you and think everyone else should be too, damnit!! :)

Rhea

Jess said...

So far so good. We haven't run into the people we most fear will be problems, but we've had lots of support and positive responses so far. This weekend will be the first real test with people who have been unsupportive in the past.

I can't tell you how much it means to me that people are excited. I'm soaking it all up, I really am. :D

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of you, too.
I found dealing with the people to be some of the hardest stuff of my homebirth. People can be so dumb and rude.

I hope it goes well for you.

Merrick